‘Horrible’: St Kilda’s win over Carlton soured by sickening head clash

‘Horrible’: St Kilda’s win over Carlton soured by sickening head clash

St Kilda’s crucial win over Carlton has been soured by a sickening head clash that had fans turning away from the TV.

St Kilda’s hardfought win over Carlton on Friday night has been soured by a sickening head clash between two Saints teammates.

The incident occurred late in the fourth quarter when Dan Butler and Hunter Clark ran to contest a lose ball in the centre square.

Watch every blockbuster AFL match this weekend Live & Ad-Break Free In-Play on Kayo. New to Kayo? Start your free trial now >

They were running towards each other and slammed front on into each other’s faces as they grappled a Carlton player.

The duo lay on the turf in serious pain and the umpires soon stopped play.

Butler got to his feet with a bloody face and was able make his away off but was Clark was far worse for wear from the friendly fire and was stretchered off the field in a medicab.

It continues a horror run of injury luck for Clark, who missed a large chunk of last season after he underwent surgery to repair multiple fractures to his jaw following a collision with Adelaide’s David Mackay.

AFL fans were horrified by the brutal collision and hoped Clark hadn’t reinjured his jaw.

Footy reporter Rohan Connolly tweeted: “God that head clash looked horrible, seem to be seeing more of them lately, as often teammates as opponents.”

The Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph said: “Let’s hope that’s only a broken nose for Hunter Clark. Did so much damage to his jaw in that Mackay hit last year.”

Clark had a seriously dented nose but was able to take part in the team song as St Kilda claimed an important 14.9 (93) to 10.18 (78) victory to sneak into the top eight midway through Round 16.

There was injury carnage for St Kilda with Dougal Howard substituted out of the game, while ruckman Rowan Marshall was assessed for concussion but was able to return to the field late in the game.

The Saints took an eight-point lead into quarter time and the Blues fought back in the second term but they shot themselves in the foot with inaccurate goalkicking.

St Kilda forward Tim Membrey had four goals including a spectacular acrobatic effort from the goalsquare to seal the win.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *